The New Rope String Band
Once seen, never forgotten: combining superb musicianship with side-splitting comic genius, the New Rope String Band are truly unique entertainers. Elements of circus, clowning, vaudeville, slapstick and sheer inspired silliness are spliced with beautiful acoustic music from various world traditions, in precision-honed yet uproarious performances that have delighted audiences from Borneo's Sarawak rainforest to the Shetland Folk Festival. Equally at home in tiny village halls or on major festival stages, these maniac minstrels are now touring again as a three-piece, mixing up long-time favourite routines with ever-evolving new material. From musical tennis to deconstructed nursery rhymes, Python-esque absurdism to pyrotechnics and live, interactive film, expect the hilariously unexpected.
“They were a revelation - I didn’t expect them to be quite as incredible as they were. I couldn’t believe what they were doing most of the time. It defied belief. " Bob Gibbon, Director, Orkney Folk Festival
"I've booked the fabulous New Rope String Band consistently over two decades presenting its unique brand of musical cabaret to literally thousands of deliriously happy people. The band remains the funniest, tirelessly inventive, the daftest, the most magical bunch of mad musicians I've had the pleasure to work with! Talented theatrically, musically brilliant and joyously good for you!” Sue Roberts, Artservice
Financial Support Summary
Northants Touring Arts carried out a survey in 2010 and it became apparent that promoters were keen to promote more work from a wider range of art forms if the upfront financial risk could be underwritten. We have developed a new method of supporting events that we believe can achieve this whilst retaining our core value that NTA's core aim is to support professional arts events in rural areas rather than subsidise fundraising events.
Full Cost of Show
NTA will ensure that we source and offer work with a wide price range to ensure that promoters with small halls and in areas not funded by their district councils are still able to book work. The advertised cost of each show is the full fee that Northants Touring Arts will have to pay the performer. This is before we underwrite or financially support any event.
How Support Is Given
NTA will underwrite events in the following steps:
- 1. We’ll advertise the full cost of each show that we’ll have to pay to the performer.
- 2. Each show will receive support of £150 from our County Council funding.
- 3. If your district council funds the scheme then the event will be supported
by a further £250.
- 4. We’ll then have a chat with you to agree what the capacity and ticket price for your show will be. Once we’ve agreed this we’ll work out what you could make on your ticket sales and agree to underwrite your event with 60% of this amount.
- 5. If the combination of Council and our support means the whole cost of the show is covered then you’ll be able to put the event on safe in the knowledge that in the unlikely event that you don’t sell many tickets you won’t lose a lot of money.
- 6. However if the combination of Council and our support means that the full cost of the event isn’t covered then you’ll have to pay the difference regardless of ticket sales and in addition to the box office income to put the event on.
How Money is Recouped
Once the event has taken place you'll be asked to complete a box office return form. You'll then pay us for the show in the following way:
- 1. The fee on booking (if any) will be added to your invoice.
- 2. You’ll pay NTA up to the first £300 of box office income.
- 3. You’ll retain up to the next £100 of box office income.
- 4. If there is still box office income remaining you'll pay this to NTA until the full cost of the performance is paid for.
- 5. If there is still any box office income remaining then you keep all of this.
If you have any queries about how Northants Touring Arts financially support events then please contact us on 0115 927 2334 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
|Title:||The New Rope String Band|
|Full Cost of Show:||£850|
|Dates Available:||2012 May 9, 10, 12, 13, 17, 18 August 15, 16, 17, 25, 26 September 5 - 9, 26 - 27 November 14 -18, 21 - 22, 28 - 30 Dec 1, 2, 5, 6, 8, 9, 12 - 16,19 - 23 2013 - Generally available|
|Running Time:||1x 55 mins, 1x 45mins|
|Get In Required:||3 hours|
|Get Out Required:||1 hour|
|Performance Space Required:||22' x 12' x 8' . A stage is preferred for visibility (but never been unable to do a show yet!)|
|Seating Layout:||Theatre or cabaret|
|Number of People on Tour:||3|